Thursday, November 26, 2009

Yoga Review: The Flow of Yoga Traffic

(note photo above  is not of  Flow Yoga Center)
Flow Yoga Center is touted as the best yoga studio in DC. While the owners lucked up on the space next to Whole Foods on P Street, they also have the most diverse, active and challenging yoga classes in DC. Almost everyone who is anyone in yoga has flowed through Flow.  My issue with Flow is the same thing that other people love about it, the crowd and the hype. 

I walk in and immediately I am elbowing and  bumping into grumpy yogis, anxious yogis, happy yogis and even some kiddie yogis. Diversity is great, but organization is essential. Too many people in too small of a space.

After I made it off of the I-66 Rush hour of yoga, I head to the  class. My very excited teacher started off the class with an old school  club song "It's not over between you and me" while instructing us to do the Pilates 100's. I thought cool, something different and held onto my open mind. Then we started doing Indian Martial Arts. I thought, hmm okay, yoga is an Indian practice, I see the connection. Next we were told to do interpretive dancing (not in those words) and wave our arms in the air... now that's where I drew the line. 

As a fitness instructor, I know things get boring and variety is the spice of life. But I paid $17 for yoga! If you are going to bamboozle me into a Burning Man Dance recital, then say so!

All that being said, I still recommend  Flow Yoga Center for the full spectrum of the yoga experience.

Flow Yoga
www.flowyogacenter.com
1450 P St NW
Washington, DC 20005-2048
(202) 462-3569

1 comment:

The Advoc8te said...

I definetly can relate which is why I like my $4 yoga class at THEARC (I got the discounted class card - 12 classes for $50)